Historic Exeter Fire Appeal
In partnership with Exeter City Council, Devon Community Foundation is establishing a fund to accept donations from the public and businesses in the aftermath of the terrible fire that raged in the much-loved historic centre of Exeter over the weekend.
Exeter City Council Chief Executive, Karime Hassan, said “The council is ready with a recovery plan and the creation of this fund to accept donations is a part of that. This is the official fund to help people and businesses in need and the future restoration of the buildings as a result of the fire. Those wishing to help can be sure that the funds will be handled properly by this experienced charity.”
Martha Wilkinson, Chief Executive of the Foundation said “We know there is a great outpouring of support for the city with many people wanting to give to help the recovery and restoration of the historic area and we are also concerned that many staff employed by affected businesses may struggle as Christmas approaches. The great generosity of the public deserves the very best use of their donations.”
It is very early days as the fund gets up and running but initial ideas as to how the donations may be used are:
- To respond swiftly to financial hardship for individuals and their families affected by the fire, such as staff of those businesses affected, especially if they will be strapped for cash at Christmas.
- To support counselling and other services to help people cope with the emotional stress caused by the fire in the short and medium term.
- To assist small local businesses to ensure their survival and swift recovery as an essential part of the local community and economy through grants and, where applicable, loans.
- Help support the sympathetic restoration of the buildings over time.
- Bishop of Exeter, Robert Atwell is also a Trustee of the Devon Community Foundation and is delighted that the Foundation is responding to help encourage donations “This has been an awful experience for Exeter and I am deeply saddened. However the community spirit over the weekend was inspirational and this fund gives us all a chance to keep that spirit going to support recovery.”
- Anyone wishing to donate can do so in a variety of ways.
- Online at https://mydonate.bt.com/events/historic-exeter-fire-appeal/370910 – don’t forget UK taxpayers can also add GiftAid to their donations.Text HEFA16 £10 to 70070 to donate by text.
- Send a cheque made payable to Devon Community Foundation and write HEFA on the back of the cheque. Please send it to us at The Factory, Leat Street, Tiverton EX16 5LL.
- If you are a UK Taxpayer, please also use a GiftAid form to add 25% to your donation this can be downloaded from: